Monday, May 6, 2013

Restaurant Style Salsa with Baked Lime Tortilla Chips

Yesterday was cinco de Mayo, and I didn't get to celebrate! You see, I threw an enormous party for my Dad's 60th birthday on Saturday. The party was wonderful--we had a huge turnout and everyone had a great time. Party planning is hard work, though, and THIS one completely wore me out, so I didn't do a THING yesterday. As such, I'm having my celebration a day late-- I doubt you mind : )
I proudly present to you: Restaurant Style Salsa with Baked Lime Tortilla Chips... all together now, "Mmmmm!" You know how I feel about easy, tasty recipes--they are my FAVORITE. This is one such recipe--I hope you love it!

You can easily adjust this recipe to fit your tastes--if you prefer a milder or spicier salsa; if you enjoy salsa that's heavier on cilantro; if you like a sweeter salsa or prefer a lot of lime, you can add or subtract seasonings as you please. For me, this recipe is here to stay! I'll probably play around with it this summer and make some variations--fruit salsa and salsa verde--but for now, this is a great starting place! You can thank Lauren from Lauren's Latest for this recipe! : )

Ingredients: 

For the salsa:
  • 3-10 oz. cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, washed (about 1 cup)
  • 1 lime, juiced (if you pop your lime in the microwave for a few seconds, it will produce more juice!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (again, adjust to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
For the chips:
  • 4 burrito sized tortillas, sliced into wedges
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • zest of 1 lime 
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Place sliced tortillas into a large bowl. Drizzle oil over wedges and toss to coat evenly. In a small bowl, stir salt and lime zest together and sprinkle over tortillas. Toss again to coat evenly. Place onto baking sheets in one even layer and bake 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

For the salsa--place all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times until you reach desired texture. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve with chips. Store salsa in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment