Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fresh Peach Cobbler

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I have been waiting ALL DAY to post this recipe!! I saved the best for last! :) Last Saturday, I went with my friend Emily to a peach orchard about 45 minutes out of town. I have never picked fresh fruit from an orchard, so I was really excited! Immediately, I began brainstorming all the peachy, summery, delicious things I could make, like THIS and THIS.

I almost felt like I was performing a civic duty by buying local and eating fresh--also, the peaches just tasted so darn good! I filled my bag with 20 peaches, and at $1.50 per pound, paid only $7.00! I was amazed. I definitely want to return before peach season ends.
So. This cobbler. MAAAAN. It's just everything that's good about life, summer, and baking. Butter. Cinnamon. Sugar. Vanilla. Peaches...all united in perfect harmony under a warm, crunchy cobbler crust. Mmm...wow.
I had never made a cobbler before yesterday, and really had never worked with fresh peaches before in any capacity. I was thrilled, then, at how incredibly easy this was to make! I've seen many variations on cobbler; some that use a sort of biscuit topping, and some more like the one that I made.

This was special too because it reminds me of my Uncle Sam, who, when I was younger, used to bring a peach cobbler to EVERY PARTY we had. I remember everything about it--the gray 9x13 pan he always carried in; how sweet, juicy, and cinnamony it was...so it was really fun to make this yesterday. It was also the first dessert (out of three!) to disappear from the spread. That felt really great :) I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! Recipe from Center Cut Cook.
Ingredients:
  • 7-9 peaches (about 5 cups), peeled and sliced 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 3/4  cups sugar, divided 
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Pour melted butter in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. In a medium sized bowl sift together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar (reserve the other cup for the peaches), 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add in 1 cup milk and stir just until all ingredients are combined. Pour the batter over the butter. DO NOT STIR. In a large saucepan, combine sliced peaches, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour the peach mixture evenly over the batter. DO NOT STIR *Note: One option for modifying this recipe to make it less sweet is to use 1/2 cup of sugar here. Also, the order is correct. Butter, batter, peaches. During baking, the batter rises above the peaches! Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.

Recipe: http://centercutcook.com/fresh-peach-cobbler/
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Pour melted butter into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish; set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup sugar (reserve the other cup for the peaches), 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add in 1 cup milk and stir just until all ingredients are combined. Pour the batter over the butter. DO NOT STIR the batter and butter together.

In a large saucepan, combine sliced peaches, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour the peach mixture evenly over the batter. DO NOT STIR. It should look like this when it goes into the oven:
*Note: One option for modifying this recipe to make it less sweet is to use 1/2 cup of sugar here. Also, the order is correct. Butter, batter, peaches. During baking, the batter rises above the peaches! Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 12 Size: 1/12th of cobbler  Calories: 251 • Fat: 8.3 g • Carbs: 44.6 g • Fiber: 1.3 gProtein: 2.4 g • Sugars: 35.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment