Side note: I absolutely despise candy corn. I think it's disgusting--waxy and too sugary and overall blech! But I had to buy a three-and-a-half pound bag of "Autumn Mix" including candy corn and Indian corn just so that I could get the candy pumpkins that I used to decorate these cupcakes! The things I do for you guys. So I dug through the bag and picked out every single pumpkin and then donated the remaining candy to charity, HA! Someone will eat it--just not me! Recipe adapted from Lil'Luna.
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (plus ingredients listed on back minus the water)
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice (I didn't measure; this is a guess)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (or more to taste!)
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 - 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 package instant pudding mix (I used vanilla)
- 1/4 cup water (if needed; I added it because my batter was a bit thick).
- 1 block - 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I never measure this)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (approximate--I never measure this either!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Candy Pumpkins, cinnamon, or sprinkles for garnish
Preheat oven to 385 and line two cupcake tins with paper liners; set aside.
Prepare cake mix as directed on box and add pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and water if needed. (If your batter is too thick, add 1/4 cup water, don't use the full cup listed on the cake mix). Add vanilla and cinnamon and mix until just combined; be careful not to overmix.
Combine ingredients for frosting in a medium bowl and beat until smooth. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with a candy pumpkin, a dusting of cinnamon, or some colored sprinkles.