Only From Scratch.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus more for cake pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces (1 block) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I rarely measure my powdered sugar--but I don't like frosting that's too sweet, so that measurement is an approximation)
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of vanilla extract
For the cake: preheat oven to 350. Butter or grease two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans and either line with buttered parchment, or butter and flour pans. Set aside.
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat together butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat well, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, beating until combined. Add milk and vanilla and beat until just combined.
For the frosting:In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until smooth. Add vanilla, then beat until smooth. Spread half of the frosting onto the bottom cake layer, starting from the middle. (If you frost too close to the edge, the frosting will squish out of the edges!) Spread it thickly outward from the middle of the cake, leaving about an inch margin.