Sunday, August 23, 2015

Honey-Garlic Shrimp over Jasmine Rice with Sauteed Asparagus

You know, sometimes, important conversations require beautiful food. I invited my dad over for a chat today and wanted to make sure that the meal was beautiful and memorable, because I've never invited JUST him over. It was so fun! We had a great conversation and enjoyed this delicious, easy, healthy, and tasty meal.
I don't cook with shrimp that often, and I think the only reason I don't use them more is because they can be expensive. It's worth the occasional splurge, though, because they cook quickly, taste delicious, and are so healthy and versatile.

I purchased raw shrimp that I peeled and cleaned, but it's also totally acceptable to use pre-cooked shrimp. This recipe is quick, simple, and tasty. You'll begin by briefly marinating your shrimp in a flavorful five-ingredient marinade (which doubles as a sauce), then saute them until sweet, pink, and plump!
I served this over some Jasmine rice that I made in the rice cooker, and a side of quickly-sauteed asparagus using simple ingredients: olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper. It was delicious! Today's recipe is very slightly adapted from this original at The Cooking Jar. I hope you enjoy it as much as my dad and I did! :)
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. shrimp, skin off and tail on (or off, based on your preference)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • Crushed red pepper  (to taste--I didn't measure this at all). 
Directions:
Combine the sauce ingredients and divide into half. Marinate the shrimp with half of the sauce for 15-30 minutes, then discard marinade. Over medium high heat, pan sear the shrimp on both sides until browned, about 1 minute per side.

Using tongs, rub the shrimp into the caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan. Dish and serve hot drizzled with the remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Not including rice or asparagus)- Servings: 4 Size: 143 grams Calories: 205 • Fat: 1.9 g Carbs: 20.0 g • Protein: 26.4 g • Sugars: 17.4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment