Sunday, August 25, 2013

Strawberry Limeade Salad

Man, today was a hot day in North Texas. Even though, officially, the temperature was under 100 degrees, it clearly didn't matter, because the air was so suffocatingly thick, it felt like heat waves were radiating from the pavement. I'm surprised my shoes didn't melt!
On days like today, there's just no point in firing up the stove. I couldn't bring myself to do it (as I was too busy chugging a gallon of water to replenish everything the heat stole from my body!) So the dinner answer was simple: something refreshing.
By now, you guys are familiar with my preferred meal standards: quick, easy, tasty, and delicious. That's all I needed tonight, in addition to something cool and refreshing...so I turned to this salad. Mmm, this salad! It was so delightful, particularly with the sweet-tart combination of strawberries and lime! Strawberry limeades tend to be a staple refreshment during Texas summers anyway, so I figured, why not convert it into something edible?
I don't usually make my own salad dressing--this is one of very few I have ever attempted. Fortunately, it did most of the work for me--I just had to prep the ingredients! This salad would make a beautiful backdrop for some shrimp, salmon, or steak--or really, any other protein. I adapted the dressing recipe from here.

Salad Ingredients:
  • Spinach (and other greens)
  • Strawberries (cut into slices)
  • Half an avocado (cubed)
Lime Salad Dressing Ingredients:
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • Splash of pineapple juice (optional; I just happened to have some in the fridge! Delicious addition, though!) 
  • Freshly ground cracked pepper (to taste)
Directions:

Combine salad dressing ingredients and whisk well; refrigerate briefly while preparing salad.

Slice strawberries, cube avocado, and arrange spinach and greens on a salad plate. Top with strawberries, avocado, and dressing, and grind black pepper on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment