Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Simple Mango Sorbet (No Ice Cream Maker Needed!)

I was telling my roommate recently about these almost-daily cravings I experience for something intensely cold and fruity. I don't know what it's about, but when the craving hits, it's like I need a BURST of fruity flavor right away. The craving hit on Saturday afternoon and sent me running to the nearest frozen yogurt shop in search of something--you guessed it--cold and fruity.
Their strawberry flavor didn't do it for me, so I went with an orange sherbet that HIT THE SPOT. Well, it's a bit unwise to continue to spend money on fro-yo or the random (and SO delicious) strawberry slush from Sonic--that can get expensive!
What is NOT expensive, though, is making your own sorbet, like I did last night. I bought some mangoes over the weekend and have been searching for an interesting way to use them, when I found this fabulous recipe.

It sounded too good to be true, but it also looked SUPER easy, so I decided that along with a few minutes of my time, all I really had to lose was some sugar, water, and two mangoes. It seemed worth the risk...and the payoff was just wonderfully cold and fruity : ) I split the recipe in half (as I only had two mangoes), but I am providing you with the whole recipe.
Ingredients:
  • About 4 cups fresh mango, pureed (about 4 large mangoes)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet the fruit is)
  • 1 cup water
Directions:

Cut your mango and place the fresh fruit into your blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.

Heat the sugar and water in a small pot on the stove over low heat. (Or, heat water in the microwave, then stir in sugar until thoroughly dissolved.) Once dissolved, set aside to cool. Add the simple syrup to the pureed fruit, and blend to combine.
**Free cooking tip: the sugar/water combination is called "simple syrup".
For an ice cream maker: Pour the fruit puree into the ice cream maker and churn for about twenty minutes, or according to manufacturer's instructions.
For no ice cream maker: Pour the fruit puree into a shallow tray or baking dish and place in the freezer. Stir the mixture every 30 minutes for at least two hours, then transfer to a freezer-safe container and keep chilled until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment