Saturday, August 17, 2013

Strawberry Mango Salsa with Baked Salmon

It's late summer now, and I am SO EXCITED because that means one thing: fall is coming!!! The way I see it: if you don't like fall, you're wrong. Fall is the best time of the year, ever. Period. I mean, come on--in addition to fall attire (boots, scarves, sweaters--hooray!), the weather is fabulous for football, bonfires...and fall FOOD?!! Oh, don't even get me started. Ugh, I can't wait! :)
In the meantime, though, I'm not trying to hate on summer, because summer definitely comes with so many AMAZING, fresh, wonderful flavors, like those showcased in the delightful salsa I made today! Mango, strawberries, cilantro, red onion, and lime juice = Strawberry Mango Salsa. Seriously, that's it. No salt, no pepper (unless you want to add it), and you have a bowlful of summer! Mmm.
I love the simplicity of summer food--there's no need to get fussy or overthink it. It's straightforward and SO tasty--two of my favorite qualities in food! :) Add some easy baked salmon fillets and throw some broccoli or brown rice on the side, and you've got a flavorful, healthy, colorful, appetizingly light dinner on the table in under 40 minutes. Get excited, people! Your arteries will thank you.
I adapted the salsa recipe from here. Keep in mind: I was only cooking for one tonight, so adjust the recipe accordingly.

Ingredients for salsa:
  • 1 cup strawberries, chopped
  • 1 mango, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
  • Juice of 1/2 a lime
  • Salt and pepper (optional)
Ingredients for salmon:
  • 1 boneless, skinless salmon fillet, thawed
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
  • Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Directions:

Heat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet or 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, mango, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Toss to mix and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Rinse salmon fillet and pat dry. Cover each side with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place into prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately with salsa. (Tonight, I added some broccoli on the side!) Enjoy : )

No comments:

Post a Comment