Saturday, August 10, 2013

Honey Ham, Mushroom, and Pepper Jack Omelet

It's been a lazy Saturday here at casa de Esther. Thank God, because it's been such a hectic week--it's nice to have some time to do a little bit of nothing :) I think eggs are the perfect breakfast food for lazy people, as they come pre-wrapped in their own little package (perfect for portion control) and they can stand on their own or blend in with everything else.
This morning, omelets were the order of the day, both because I don't have lots of groceries at the new place yet and also because the few things I do have lend themselves beautifully to omelets! The beauty of this dish is that anything goes. You can stuff nearly anything into an omelet and it will be delicious! It's a great way to get a healthy serving of veggies and protein at the same time.

Today, I used the following: honey ham, pepper jack cheese, baby Bella mushrooms, and red bell pepper--and it was delicious! Unfortunately, I overstuffed it (I know better! Ugh!), and it completely fell apart in the frying pan! So instead of the beautiful crescent-shaped omelet I was going for, I ended up with meat and veggies all over the pan, and an omelet that refused to stay together! :(

Though I enjoy sharing all my beautiful dishes with you all, I think it's only fair and appropriate that I share the not-so-hot food too, so that you know I'm not a pro and am definitely learning every day!
Don't get me wrong: the TASTE was wonderful--the honey ham lent a smoky-sweet touch to the overall bite; the mushrooms were meaty and filling; the pepper jack added just a hint of spice (and the ever-desirable gooey cheesiness), and the peppers gave a nice crunch, but in my opinion, the LOOKS left a little something to be desired. That's alright--though looks are fun, it's the taste that counts :)
Ingredients:
  • Two eggs
  • 1-2 teaspoons of water (or milk or cream, at your preference)
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 teaspoons butter/oil
  • Desired fillers--meat, cheese, veggies
Directions: 

Crack eggs into a bowl; add water (or milk or cream), salt and pepper.  Whisk well to completely combine; set aside.

Place butter or oil into an omelet pan or small frying pan.  Melt butter  or heat oil over medium-high heat, swirling it around the bottom and up the edges slightly.  Pour whisked eggs into the hot pan, and cook eggs for a few seconds to let them set slightly.

Sprinkle desired fillings onto one side (or the center) of the omelet.  Quickly flip the empty side over the fillings towards the center of the omelet.  Slide omelet onto a serving plate. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment