Monday, August 10, 2015

One-Pan Turkey Enchilada Pasta

And here we are, in August. How?! I last posted a month ago, and suddenly, we're in the middle of August! I'm obligated to say this: It's blazing outside...ugh. If every Texan you know isn't commenting about the weather in some capacity, they're doing it wrong!
So the last time I wrote, I had a zillion updates and reasons for neglecting you guys--and my blog. Today, there's really just one--I went to Belize a few weeks ago for a mission trip with a wonderful team from my church! We were there for eight days and spent time serving at an orphanage called Laugh Out Loud Children's Home. What a transformative, humbling experience we shared!

Our incredibly gifted team of 19 people coordinated all kinds of activities for the kids, including mechanics, archery, computers, music, art, cooking, and sports! I led a baking class for eight children (all under the age of nine...talk about leaving my comfort zone! Sheesh!) They were so eager to learn and excited to be in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, from the start, I was SO SURE that I was the wrong person for the job. I had innumerable excuses about why someone else was more equipped and better-qualified than I--but God always knows what He's doing--and our baking class was one of the most popular and well-received among the children!
We also had the opportunity to minister in a Mayan village, where we did a mini vacation Bible school, and had lunch, courtesy of some of the residents of the village! We used our last full day to enjoy time in the sparkling turquoise waters of the Caribbean... (that's the extremely abridged version of the trip).

It was unbelievable. God is faithful, and he is consistent about removing me from my comfort zone in order to grow and stretch me into the woman he has created me to be. It's not always enjoyable, but He IS always right.

It's never easy to return to "real life" after traveling--but that's part of why I travel: to leave my norm and expand the boundaries of what I think I know about the world (and myself). Without fail, I come back ever thankful, appreciative, and always amazed at how outrageously blessed I am to live this life. 
With that said--let's get to the food! This One-Pan Pasta is such a breeze to make, especially on nights when you don't feel like doing lots of dishes or putting in much effort. Brown your turkey in the pan with aromatics like onions, garlic, and green bell pepper, then add pasta, vegetable stock, enchilada sauce, and bada bing, bada boom--you've got dinner!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 of a small onion, diced 
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 pound ground turkey meat (you can substitute ground beef or chicken if you like)
  • 1/2 packet taco seasoning (or substitute onion, garlic, and chili powders to taste)
  • 2 cups of vegetable stock (original recipe calls for chicken broth--feel free to use that instead!)
  • 1 19oz can of red enchilada sauce (or 2 10-oz cans)
  • 8oz (about 2 1/2 cups) of dried rotini pasta
  • 2 cups of freshly shredded Colby Jack cheese
  • green onions
  • black olives (optional)
Directions:

In a large skillet or sauté pan, sauté garlic, bell pepper, and onions in olive oil over medium low heat until softened. Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Once turkey meat is cooked through, season with taco seasoning, then add pasta, chicken broth and enchilada sauce to pan.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook on low, with pan covered for about 15 minutes. Then remove lid and let simmer for additional 5 minutes until pasta is tender and sauce has reduced. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese. Top pasta with additional cup of cheese and melt under broiler for a minute or so--or place lid back on pan and let heat from the pasta melt the cheese. Garnish with black olives and green onions.
Nutrition Facts- Servings: 6 Size: 1 cup pasta Calories: 586 • Fat: 32.6 g Cholesterol: 152 mg Carbs: 36.6 g • Fiber: 1.6 g Protein: 39.2 g • Sugars: 3.1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment