Thursday, May 21, 2015

Turkey Stuffed Avocado Tacos

Hi, friends! It's nearly the end of May! This year is seriously flying away. Wow. North Texas has gotten some pretty crazy weather lately, too! Tornadoes and flooding and earthquakes, oh my!
But that doesn't stop spring flavors from entering my kitchen. These stuffed avocado tacos made my day! I saw the recipe and fell in love immediately. The original uses ground beef, but I figured I could make a leaner recipe using healthy turkey!
I'm typically not a fan of warm avocado, but being that this avocado acts as a vehicle to hold all the delicious taco toppings, I jumped right on board! This meal has a delightfully creamy, hearty texture, and fills you up with all kinds of good things!
This taco is stuffed to the brim with savory ground turkey, a little bit of diced avocado, juicy tomatoes, and topped with cheddar and pepper jack cheeses for a delightful "taco" experience! I will say--they were a little bit messy to eat, but I just used some crunchy tortilla chips to scoop up anything I missed with my fork! Thanks to The Cozy Cook, from whom I adapted this recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 (1.25 oz.) packet taco seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 ripe avocados
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I used half cheddar and half pepper jack)
  • 3/4 cup low fat sour cream for topping (optional)
  • Cilantro, for a garnish or topping (optional)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Cook the ground turkey over medium heat until browned. Drain excess grease. Add 3/4 cup water and stir in taco seasoning and diced onions. Cook until the onions are softened, then turn the heat off.

Slice avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pits and carefully scoop out some of the flesh to make room for the taco filling. Dice the avocado that you scooped out and toss in with the meat mixture along with the diced tomatoes.

Scoop the meat mixture into the Avocado slices and top with cheese. Bake on prepared baking sheet for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and hot. Serve immediately with diced cilantro and sour cream. Have some chips handy to clean up any spills!
Nutrition Facts- Servings: 8 Size: 1 avocado half Calories: 354 • Fat: 28.6 g Cholesterol: 67 mg Carbs: 11.3 g • Fiber: 7.2 g  Protein: 18.4 g • Sugars: 1.4 g

2 comments: