Monday, May 4, 2015

Roasted Strawberry, Avocado, and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese

Hi, friends. I can't believe it's May already!! You know, if I hadn't already used my corny "May the fourth be with you" joke LAST year on May the fourth, today would totally be the day to break it out ;)
Today's post will be short and sweet. I was on Foodgawker today--it's one of my very favorite food blogger sites, and the inspiration for many of the recipes you see here on Foodie & Fabulous! Everything on there looks delicious, but there are some days when it seems that EVERY recipe speaks to me!
Today was no different, but this particular recipe stood out because it's 1) easy 2) tasty 3) healthy 4) gorgeous. (You know how I feel about pretty food!) Plus, the flavor combination just SCREAMED "Eat me! I taste like spring!!" How could I resist such a persuasive sandwich? The answer is: I couldn't. So...here we go! I adapted this recipe from Monique at Ambitious Kitchen.
Ingredients:
  • 1 pint ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 4 cups strawberries)
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (I didn't measure)
  • 4 slices thick bread (I used French bread; you may use sourdough, Multigrain bread, or another thick, crusty bread)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 large ripe avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (approximate--I didn't measure)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375  and line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with sugar so that they are fully coated. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until berries are juicy. Remove and set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Lightly brush or drizzle half of olive oil over two slices of bread and place oiled side down. Layer bread with mozzarella, avocado, and lastly, roasted strawberries. Drizzle the remaining slices of bread with olive oil and place oiled side up on the sandwich.
Cover with a lid and cook about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown on bottom. Carefully flip the sandwich, reduce heat to medium and cook a few more minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Enjoy!! :)
Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 2 Size: 1 sandwich Calories: 326 • Fat: 17.9 g Cholesterol: 15 mg Carbs: 30.9 g • Fiber: 5.6 g  Protein: 13.2 g • Sugars: 6.6 g 

2 comments:

  1. Esther... this looks divine! I wonder how it would be with a little baby spinach too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this would be absolutely delicious with some baby spinach, Tiffany--especially if flavored with some fresh minced garlic...mmm! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete