Sunday, December 21, 2014

Bacon, Cheddar, Spinach, and Mushroom "Grilled" Flatbread Sandwich

YOU. GUYS. This sandwich. Oh. Dear. God.
It began as many things in my kitchen do--with a semi-specific craving: I wanted a mushroom grilled cheese sandwich. It's gray and chilly outside, and I wanted to bring some warmth inside! This sandwich did exactly that--and filled the house with delicious aromas to boot!

Unrelated: I was at the thrift store this afternoon looking for picture frames and found a great little oval coffee table! ...yeah, I didn't plan that either. HOWEVER, I've been searching high and low for an oval coffee table that won't break the bank (not an easy task, mind you).
So I'm in the line to check out and I look over to my right to see this coffee table...lonely, unclaimed, and FOR SALE. Ugh. I couldn't help myself. But let me tell you the best part: with three picture frames and a gorgeous square mirror, PLUS the table, I paid $17.99. WHAT?!! I said yes before I even knew what I was doing...and now it's sitting in my living room. I want to work on it a bit--I want a darker matte finish, but it's here now, and I can start styling it! Hooray!

I suppose this sandwich is a bit celebratory in honor of my stellar purchase. I mean, let's face it: bacon ALWAYS makes for a great celebration; especially when in cahoots with the usual suspects, like cheddar cheese, Crimini mushrooms, spinach, and garlic, all up to no good inside a warm, chewy flatbread. COME ON.

As usual, I didn't measure anything for this sandwich, and I just used what I had, so mix it up and change it up as you please!
Ingredients:
  • 1 Naan flatbread
  • Bacon, fried crisp (or as desired)
  • Baby spinach (I used the rest of a bag I already had--it was an overflowing handful)
  • Mushrooms, sliced--I used white and Crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
  • Cheddar cheese (or whichever you prefer; I already had shredded cheddar)
  • 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 Teaspoon Olive oil 
  • 1 Tablespoon butter, divided
  • Crushed red pepper (just a pinch)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Fry the bacon until it's as crisp as you'd like it, and set it on some paper towels to drain.

Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and saute the garlic until fragrant (but not burnt); about two to three minutes. Slice up your mushrooms (I probably used about a cup or so) and add them to the garlic with a pinch of kosher salt. Saute until they've begun to sweat a little and release some liquid; about three to five minutes. Put them in a bowl and set aside.

Add the spinach to the frying pan with a little crushed red pepper, and saute until just wilted. Remove from the heat and add to the mushrooms. Melt half a tablespoon of butter in the frying pan. Then, slice your flatbread in half and put one slice down on the melted butter. Top with some cheddar cheese and let it fry until the cheese begins to melt. Then, begin to layer your remaining ingredients: spinach, mushrooms, and bacon, and top with more cheese and the other slice of flatbread.

Flip the sandwich and keep it in the pan until golden brown; slice and serve.

**For a healthier variation, use turkey bacon and whole wheat or whole grain flatbread, and use low-fat cheddar cheese. To make this for breakfast, add some scrambled or fried eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment