Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Turkey Tamale Pie

Hi, friends! Are you in need of a way to use some of your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers? Look no further! The answer lies here, in this Turkey Tamale Pie! :)
So, like many of my great ideas, I stumbled upon this recipe completely by accident. When I was growing up, my mom used to make a really comforting, delicious Turkey Pie (which I now know to be "turkey pot pie")--and I've never made it as an adult. She's given me the recipe, but I was searching for other versions just to see what was out there.
Then, out of nowhere, this gorgeous turkey tamale thing comes floating across the screen! All thoughts of turkey pot pie dissipated as I got lost in the saucy, cheesy, meaty goodness dancing before my eyes (Dinners, Dishes, & Desserts did a great job on the photos and recipe here), and I knew, in that moment, that the Turkey Tamale Pie had to be mine. 
I was worried that I may not be able to make it soon, as my car is in the shop, severely limiting my mobility. However, at the kind hands of my friend Emily, I made it to the grocery store and picked up a handful of typical pantry items and came home to cook! I hope you love it. Also, you may absolutely substitute chicken for turkey here--see an alternate recipe at Pinch of Yum.
Ingredients:


  • 1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 (14¾ oz) can cream style corn
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I didn't have any, so I used chili powder)
  • 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
  • 1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix, like Jiffy
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
  • 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups turkey, cooked and shredded
  • 3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Cilantro for garnish

  • Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie plate or casserole dish with non stick spray; set aside.

    In a bowl, add corn muffin mix, egg, milk, corn, cayenne/chili powder, green chiles, and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. Stir until combined and pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes. The corn bread should be barely be set and a nice, golden brown.
    While the cornbread bakes, toss the turkey with the remaining taco seasoning. Remove corn bread from the oven. Using a fork pierce the entire top of the corn bread. Pour enchilada sauce over the top so it saturates the cornbread. Spread turkey over the top of the sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.

    Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro if desired.

      Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 9 Size: 1 square of pie Calories: 292 • Fat: 10.2 g • Carbs: 40 g • Fiber: 8.9 g  Protein: 17.1 g • Sugars: 5.7 g

    No comments:

    Post a Comment