Saturday, March 15, 2014

Parmesan Asparagus with Fried Eggs

You know what I love? Simple, elegant, beautiful food. I'm talking about straightforward flavors, simple presentation, and delicious tastes that don't have to be fussy or fancy. Of course, there's definitely room for very extravagant, "I slaved over the stove for hours!" kind of dishes--but on some days, like today, less is more.
It's a quiet, rainy day here in Dallas, and I found myself searching to create a meal to match the peace and tranquility of my mood. I bought some beautiful asparagus recently, and decided to give it a go, following Justin at Salt Pepper Skillet. I've never worked with asparagus before--this was my first time--and I was thrilled at how easy it is to make!

The addition of a fried egg on top was sensational--and much more delicious than I anticipated! Visually, I love the contrasting colors--the bright, green, crisp asparagus crowned with the golden yellow egg, against the starkness of freshly ground pepper and soft Parmesan cheese. After a brief saute in some olive oil, the asparagus gives a wonderfully nutty aroma. The creamy egg yolk sauces the asparagus beautifully, and the Parmesan cheese provides the perfect accompaniment!
This meal has five ingredients (well, six if you count salt and pepper separately) and can stand alone as a lovely brunch or can easily accompany a light fish. I had mine with salmon for a quick lunch. Perfect. (Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate how much more beautiful food photos are in natural light? Good grief. I wish I could find a way to capture this ALL the time!)
Ingredients:
  • ½ lb asparagus, trimmed (cut about one inch off the ends)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Shaved or shredded parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet or frying pan. Sauté asparagus for 3-4 minutes, and season with salt and pepper.

Fry each egg separately until they reach your desired level of doneness.

Serve fried eggs over sauteed asparagus. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 2 Size: 1 egg with asparagus spears  Calories: 154 • Fat: 12.1 g • Carbs: 4.8 g • Fiber: 2.4 g  Protein: 8.8 g • Sugars: 2.5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment