Saturday, October 17, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

It's finally starting to feel like October!! I couldn't be happier. My windows have been open all day long, and it's been a beautiful day! I was making pancakes for breakfast (an appropriate celebration to welcome the cooler weather), and was planning to eat them with syrup, like always, when my eye fell on two beautiful, crisp apples sitting on my counter! Of course, I couldn't leave them out of the celebration, so I promptly picked them up to put them to good use.
To me, there are few flavors that represent the onset of autumn more quintessentially than apples, particularly when paired with spicy cinnamon! Apples and cinnamon smell absolutely delicious together, and they taste so homey and welcoming; evoking warm, cozy memories of sweet days gone by.
To capture the essence most clearly for this breakfast, I peeled and chopped two crisp, crunchy Gala apples and combined them with some butter, brown sugar, and lite syrup, for a sticky, sweet, delicious pancake topping! I wanted the apples to be the star, so I kept the pancakes simple, flavoring only with vanilla and cinnamon.
You don't have to use Gala apples; that's just what I had, but be sure to use a good, crisp apple that can withstand heat and cooking without getting mushy or mealy, like Granny Smith, Gala, or Honeycrisp.
What's your favorite thing about fall? Contemplate as you make these pancakes. You'll love them! Topping recipe from Le Creme De La Crumb.

Ingredients:
Pancakes:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Apple Cinnamon Topping:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅓ cup maple syrup
Directions:

For the pancakes:
Mix all dry ingredients together, then add egg, milk, butter, and vanilla. Whisk until incorporated. Heat your frying pan to medium and pour the batter on a lightly oiled pan, flip when bubbles appear on the edges. Flip and cook until golden brown and fragrant.

For the apple topping:
Add butter, apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a medium sauce pan. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until apples are very tender. Add in syrup. Serve apple topping over warm pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment