Sunday, June 23, 2013

One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta with Sausage

This is another one of those recipes that I've seen floating around the internet, and as usual, I was curious! The appeal of a one-pot meal is, indeed, that it only requires the use of one pot from start to finish. (Technically, I used one pot and one frying pan to make the sausage).
This pasta is as easy as it claims to be, and just as savory too! I made this for my family for lunch after church today, and my main concern was making a vegetarian meal for them (primarily my siblings, who are true carnivores and junk food lovers), hence the addition of the sausage.

I love the opportunities for experimentation that this recipe offers. Add the ingredients to the pot, bring everything to a boil, then lower to a simmer for a few minutes and serve. It really is that easy! You don't even have to drain the noodles!
Because it was my first time to make this pasta, I didn't deviate much from the recipe other than to add the sausage, but next time, I think I may cook the pasta in white wine--I may even add some heavy cream for a luscious, creamy element in the pasta.

I'm also considering the addition of spinach instead of basil. Perhaps mushrooms place of tomatoes? Bacon or pancetta instead of sausage? There are SO many possibilities!! :) I originally grabbed this recipe from Apron Strings.

Ingredients:
  • 12 ounces pasta (I used one box of Fettucine--you can use spaghetti, linguine--whatever)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid 
  • 1/4 large sweet onion, sliced julienne style (the original recipe calls for an entire onion; adjust to taste)
  • 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (you may substitute minced garlic if you don't have fresh garlic)
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
  • 2 large sprigs basil, chopped
  • 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (it's fine to use low sodium broth--just make sure to incorporate flavor in another way)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 lbs lean bulk pork sausage (Italian, spicy--whatever you want), browned
  • Parmesan cheese for garnish
Directions:

Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle the pepper flakes and oregano on top, then drizzle top with oil. Brown sausage in a separate pan. Set aside.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated to keep the pasta moist. I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired. Add browned sausage to the pot; mix it in.

Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment