Saturday, March 14, 2015

Crunchy Tilapia Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw and Fresh Pineapple Salsa

Hi, friends! I hope you're well and enjoying the not-icy weather these days. So here's the deal: I love tacos. I especially love fish tacos. Mmm. A good fish taco just makes the foodie in me so happy!
I always worry that when I make a breading for fish, it may not be crunchy or crispy enough, so I started my research and went on the hunt for some Panko breadcrumbs. If you're not familiar, Panko breadcrumbs are Japanese-style breadcrumbs that are fluffier and crispier than regular breadcrumbs.
However, what I found was even better! I went into Kroger and, by some providence, stumbled upon this *delicious* Chipotle Lime Tortilla Panko Breader. Oh. My. Goodness. It's crunchy, spicy, and made a GORGEOUS crust on the outside of the fish.

The back of the box also contains a recipe for the cabbage slaw I made. Isn't it pretty? I LOVE beautiful food, and the colors in here just make me want to dig in! The pineapple salsa was super easy and very flavorful. I used some of the leftover fresh pineapple I used in the salmon last week. Add some cilantro, red onion, and jalapeno, and a little lime juice, and you've got a real good thing going!

There are three steps in the breading process; all of which make the fish crispy, crunchy, moist, and flavorful. First, you'll dredge your thawed tilapia in some seasoned flour, then dip it in some water, and then cover the whole fillet in the delicious Panko breader! Mmm, I was so pleased with how this came out! I'm sure you will be too.
Ingredients:

For the tilapia:
  • Tilapia fillets, thawed (I used four large fillets)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • Chipotle Lime Tortilla Panko Breader
  • Seasoned salt, cumin, and pepper to taste (I used mine to season the flour!)
  • Water 
  • Corn tortillas
For the cabbage slaw:
  • 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
  • 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
  • 1-3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/4-1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon honey, agave nectar, or granulated sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For the pineapple salsa (Did not measure these ingredients)
  • Fresh pineapple, diced (I probably used about a cup and a half?)
  • Half a fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (for more heat, leave the seeds in)
  • 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
  •  Cilantro, chopped (add to taste)
  • Juice of a small lime
  • Honey, salt, and pepper (to taste)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with foil; spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a shallow bowl or plate, add flour, and season with salt, cumin, and pepper. Rinse thawed tilapia fillets and then cover them in the seasoned flour. From there, dip into the water, being sure to cover the whole surface of the fish, and then coat in the Panko breader. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes, or until firm and flaky.

For the cabbage slaw: combine all ingredients and season to taste. For the pineapple salsa: combine all ingredients and season to taste; refrigerate for 15-30 minutes for the flavors to marinate. To assemble: in a corn tortilla, layer cabbage slaw and pineapple salsa, and nestle warm fish fillets inside. Serve with rice, black beans, or enjoy on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment