I received a cupcake cookbook for Christmas, and haven't really had much time to use it! So I decided to go through it today and see what tasty treats I could find. Everything looked delicious, but these seemed perfect for a cold day like today.
Better Homes and Gardens Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (original called for 1 3/4 cup; I reduced it).
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 packet of vanilla pudding mix
- Optional: 1/3 cup finely ground pecans (I omitted them).
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3-6 cups powdered sugar (I never measure my powdered sugar, but I always use less than any given recipe calls for because I dislike overly sweet frosting).
- Dash of salt
Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, stir brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined (batter may look curdled).
Spoon about one tablespoon batter into each prepared muffin cup. Sprinkle about one teaspoon of the brown sugar mixture over batter in cups. Spoon remaining batter evenly over brown sugar mixture in cups. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar mixture over batter in cups.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 10 minutes; cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
To prepare frosting: beat softened butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and a dash of salt. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth; pipe onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with cinnamon sugar.