Sunday, November 30, 2014

Breakfast Flatbread with Fried Eggs and Greens

So...tomorrow is December 1, 2014. WHAT?! Time never fails to surprise me in its swift passing. Just like that, another year elapses...and we're on the brink of entering a new one, which will undoubtedly pass just as quickly. Man. I'm too old for this.
Thankfully, a runny fried egg is the perfect fix for existential crises in the morning. Especially a runny fried egg atop a crunchy, crisp flatbread crust with leafy spinach, savory garlic, some extra virgin olive oil, and tons of cheese.
I almost didn't share this recipe, firstly because I made it weeks ago and figured that too much time had passed, and also because it was one of those "Uhh...I have nothing else in the fridge, so I'm making this and I hope it doesn't suck" recipes.
If I had it to do over again, I would absolutely add mushrooms and bacon...but this was a good start! As with many of my recipes, this is a total "non-recipe" recipe, so please feel free to add and change it as you please. This is an iron and protein-rich meatless recipe! It's also very flavorful without much added salt, which I appreciate.
Ingredients:
  • Naan Flatbread (I only used one)
  • Fresh spinach (a handful or so)
  • 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced 
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded (I didn't measure the cheese--maybe 1/4 cup each?)
  • Colby Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil (enough to spread on the flatbread)
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with foil (optional; you can also bake the flatbread straight on the rack); set aside.

Drizzle flatbread with olive oil (this is so that the flatbread won't become too dry while baking). In a frying pan over medium heat, saute garlic and onion with a touch of olive oil until fragrant; then add the spinach until just wilted; season as desired.
Spread the cheeses over the flatbread, and cover with spinach-onion-garlic mixture. Crack two eggs over the top, being sure to catch the white before it runs off the side. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until flatbread is crunchy on the sides and soft in the middle, and your eggs reach desired temperature. (Note: I started my flatbread on a baking sheet and then moved it to the rack about halfway through cooking because the eggs weren't cooking!)

Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 2 Size: 1 half flatbread  Calories: 298 • Fat: 10.6 g • Carbs: 33.5 g • Fiber: 4 g  Protein: 9.8 g • Sugars: 1 g 

No comments:

Post a Comment