Sunday, November 9, 2014

Baked Salmon with Lemon Caper Butter Sauce

Good afternoon, my friends! It is a *spectacular* November day here in north Texas...warm, windy, and perfect. My windows are open, sunlight is cascading into the room, and all is right with the world :)
Also, I was able to shop a few sales this afternoon and scored some great fall items, including some super cute leopard flats, a short-sleeved sweater and a light gray sweatshirt, a new necklace, and a new burgundy lipstick! Also included in this weekend's haul: two pairs of booties that were on sale for $16.99 each! I love a good sale--and I love saving money much more than spending it :) My future husband will be grateful!
So. Onto today's recipe! While I was house-sitting this summer, I used some capers in a pasta recipe and knew I wanted some for myself, so I bought some during my last grocery shop. I love the snappy, salty, briny taste that they bring to food, particularly when combined with fish and lemon. It's such a fresh, vinegary, light flavor...I can't get enough.
The salmon is baked in a 375-degree oven for about 15 minutes as the sauce quickly comes together on the stove top: butter, fresh garlic, lemon juice and zest, and a little salt and pepper. All fresh ingredients, all delicious, and SO indulgent. Ugh! Add a little heavy cream and it's...well, magic. I'll save that for next time.

I adapted the recipe from Life's Ambrosia and served the salmon with green beans. Next time, I may add some rice or quinoa for a fuller meal.
Ingredients:
  • 2 (5 ounce) salmon fillets, thawed
  • 4 lemon slices
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons capers drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Spread a small baking dish or sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick  cooking spray; set aside.

Place salmon into the baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Top each fillet with two slices of lemon, and bake for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

While salmon bakes, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add capers, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest; cook for 2-4 minutes then salt and pepper to taste.

When the salmon is done, discard the lemon slices and spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with fresh veggies or salad.
Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 2 Size: 1 salmon fillet with sauce Calories: 403 • Fat: 28.5 g • Carbs: 4.5 g • Fiber: 1.5 g  Protein: 35.4 g • Sugars: 1.2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment