Saturday, June 21, 2014

Kit Kat Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting

Hi, everyone :) How's it going? Happy June...summer is officially here (and it's officially starting to feel like it around here, too!) All is well in my world--summer orientations have begun, and I can hardly believe that the third of this month marked my one-year anniversary at my job! It's been a great year, and I look forward to more good things :)
I'm really excited about these cupcakes--and I'm excited about the recipient as well! Do any of you guys have in-laws or siblings whose boyfriends or girlfriends you didn't really care for? I feel like many of us have had that experience, and it can be so unfortunate. I can't join those ranks today, though, as I have been incredibly blessed that my siblings have chosen really lovely partners.
I have a fabulous sister-in-law, Mattie, whom I love *dearly*. She's beautiful, sweet, funny, genuine, and completely in love with my brother--it's wonderful to see them together :) These cupcakes, however, aren't for her--they're for my youngest brother's girlfriend, Sydney! Oh, Sydney :)
Sydney is a blonde beauty whose sweet nature and maturity are a delight to everyone around her; particularly me. She is brilliant, SO much fun, and her easygoing charm appeals to all who encounter her. She doesn't take herself too seriously, loves to laugh, and also cares very deeply about my brother. I love her!
She celebrated her 17th birthday on Wednesday and I learned, through some covert research, what her favorite candy is...so naturally, my gift to her is baked and covered in caramel cream cheese frosting, to be delivered this afternoon! I hope she loves them :) Recipe from Chocolate Moosey.
Ingredients:
Cupcakes:
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extrat
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I used the milk + vinegar substitute)
  • 6 fun-sized Kit Kat bars, broken into single wafers (12 wafers total--rather than breaking them all into single wafers, I cut them in half to make little half Kit-Kats)
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 ounces (1 block) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I rarely measure my powdered sugar--but I don't like frosting that's too sweet, so that measurement is an approximation)
  • Pinch of salt
  • Splash of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
  • 6 fun-sized Kit Kat bars, broken into single wafers (12 wafers total for garnish)
Directions:
For the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners; set aside. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Alternating between the flour and buttermilk, gradually add the flour in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2 parts (my batter turned out EXTREMELY thick; I may need to add some water next time to thin it out).
 
In one liner, scoop enough batter to cover the bottom. Cut one Kit Kat wafer in half then place both halves on top of the batter. Scoop enough batter on top to cover. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean (you want a little bit of chocolate so they aren't too dry). The tops may sink slightly. Cool completely.

For the frosting:
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until smooth. Add the caramel sauce and vanilla, then beat until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. 
With the remaining Kit Kat wafers, cut each in half then stick the cut side into the frosting for garnish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment