Saturday, December 21, 2013

Baked Eggs in Baked Potato Shells

Christmas is coming! Hooray! :) I'm thrilled. I hope you guys are well and enjoying this December! 
And...school is out for the semester!! WHEEEEE!! Oh my gosh, guys--the past couple of weeks at work have been rough, mostly because the students who procrastinated all semester were rushing in to get things done last minute--and also because the students who performed poorly in their classes received notification about their academic standing.
Some are on probation--others are now suspended. *Sigh* And while most have been courteous and understanding, there are a few whose attitudes have been absolutely horrendous. Ugh. Also, I've been to more than my fair share of Christmas parties with White Elephant (and other assorted) gift exchanges. ...I think I feel the same way about White Elephant parties as I do all games (see #17).
As always, though, my favorite place to be is in the kitchen, whipping up something delicious and interesting. The weather outside IS a bit frightful this weekend, so last night, I baked some potatoes--always a hearty, filling choice for winter.
This morning, I used the leftover potatoes to make something even more delicious for breakfast. I scooped the filling from two small red potatoes and briefly sauteed it with some garlic, onion, salt, and pepper, then filled the potato shell with a little olive oil, mozzarella cheese, the potato mixture, and topped it with an egg!
This is an easily customizable dish for any tastes. Next time, I'll probably add some turkey bacon or spinach! Or perhaps tomatoes or basil? Mmm. Also, it's got some good fiber and protein. Altogether, I found this a delicious and healthy dish, and best: you probably already have all the ingredients at home! I made this meal for one, so as always, feel free to adapt this to serve more people. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients:
  • 2 small potatoes, baked
  • 2 eggs
  • Sliced or shredded cheese (optional; I used two thin slices from an 8-oz block of mozzarella)
  • 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/8 cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Cover a cookie sheet or baking dish with foil or parchment paper; set aside.

Cut an oval-shaped hole into the tops of potatoes, and scoop out the flesh using a spoon or melon baller. Be sure to leave about a 1/4 inch border around the outside of the potatoes.

Heat a teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic for about two minutes or until fragrant. Add the potato flesh, salt and pepper into the pan and stir well to combine.

In the bottom of the potato shells, add a drop of olive oil (maybe half a teaspoon?) and the cheese. Top with the potato mixture, and press down to make room for the eggs. Crack the eggs on top of the potatoes. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until egg reaches desired doneness.


Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 2 Size: 1 potato Calories: 207 • Fat: 7 g • Carbs: 28.5 g • Fiber: 3.1 g  Protein: 8.9 g • Sugars: 2.3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment