Okay. So. Avocado toast is SO simple and SO delicious, with the added bonus that avocado is just SO GOOD FOR YOU! So when you add a bunch of fresh veggies (for color, flavor, and health factors) and top it off with some quick fried eggs (for protein!), you're left with a powerhouse meal that looks beautiful and tastes even better!
- 2 slices of thick-cut bread, lightly buttered on one side (I used Italian; you can use French, Sourdough, etc).
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 3 mini bell peppers, sliced, or one regular-sized bell pepper
- 4 stalks asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 2-4 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 375 and toast buttered bread directly on racks until golden and crunchy; about five to ten minutes. (You can also toast your bread in a toaster oven or a regular toaster--I have neither, so the oven was my go-to).
Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced bell pepper, mushrooms, and asparagus, and saute until fragrant and tender-crisp--about five minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired.