Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Turkey, Spinach, and Bacon Meatballs

Okay, guys. These meatballs are...well, first--HI. How are you? I hope things are well. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is so close! Where did the year go? Do you have anything fabulous planned? I hope some quality time with your family and loved ones is "on the menu."
Alright--back to the meatballs: I think this is the first time I've ever made meatballs from scratch. Seriously. I've made hamburgers and meatloaves, but meatballs--this was a first, and I have no idea why I waited so long! These were so easy and stinkin' delicious

I was so thrilled with the outcome! I stuffed them full of veggies, but their savory, hearty taste totally keeps the veggie flavor incognito, which makes them perfect for kids--or for adults who don't like eating their spinach!
Add to the ground turkey a little garlic, onion, shredded carrots, and spinach, and add flavor with a slice of turkey bacon and a splash of balsamic vinegar! Add some oats and an egg to hold everything together--then season with salt and pepper, and throw them in the oven. Easy. Peasy.
I've been so excited to make these ever since finding them on BS' In the Kitchen. They're a great source of protein, they're low in sodium and sugar, and high in all the vitamins that are good for you, thanks to the hidden veggies. I hope you guys enjoy these as much as I have tonight! I plan to freeze what I didn't eat and keep them for later!
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground turkey, thawed
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup minced red onion
  • 1/3 cup shredded carrots (that's approximate; I shredded about six baby carrots)
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup oats (or 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs)
  • 1 slice finely chopped uncooked turkey bacon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (I bet fresh basil would be even better here!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (also approximate--I just added a good splash!)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; set aside. (If using foil, spray with cooking spray).

In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add minced onion, garlic, carrots, and spinach, cooking until spinach has wilted. Add the spinach mixture to ground turkey, bacon, panko, egg, and salt & pepper, mixing until well-combined. (Don't over-handle the meat or it will become tough!)

Form into heaping tablespoon-sized balls and line the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until fully cooked and no longer pink inside.

Nutrition Facts-- Servings: 5 Size: 3 meatballs Calories: 232 • Fat: 11.4 g • Carbs: 8.1 g • Fiber: 1.5 g  Protein: 27.4 g • Sugars: 1.2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment