Friday, April 19, 2013

Browned Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a confession to make: I love cookies. Truly. Like...if there were a particular "sweet" that I could eat every day, cookies easily top the list (alongside brownies, cupcakes, and pretty much anything with cream cheese). 
It's both a blessing and a curse--a blessing because I nearly always have all the ingredients to whip up a quick batch of cookies (which happens more often than I care to admit); a curse because there is seldom anyone around to help me EAT said blessing.
Regardless, I'm always on the lookout for fabulous, delicious, and easy cookie recipes, so when I find them, I'm quick to save or pin them in the hopes of making and sharing them with hungry  mouths everywhere.

Today's cookies incorporate a new favorite ingredient of mine: browned butter. Ohhh, browned butter--how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
  1. You have a beautiful caramel color
  2. You boast a warm, nutty aroma
  3. Your flavor brings such depth and dimension to baked goods...
Yes, browned butter is wonderful--and if you've never tried it before, I recommend that you do so, and soon! Alright, onto the cookies! I adapted this recipe from Kristy at Sweet Treats and More. Check her out : ) Also--I made the first batch of cookies without chocolate chips. Try them both ways! Each is absolutely delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter (if you use salted butter, omit the salt)
  • 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring or whisking constantly. Continue stirring as butter begins to simmer and foams up. Continue until butter turns a dark amber color and brown specks appear at the bottom of the pan (you will see them as you continue to whisk). Once browned (and be careful not to burn) remove from heat and let cool. (I refrigerated mine for about an hour, then took it out to soften about 15 minutes before I was ready to use it).

Meanwhile, mix flour, soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
Once cooled, combine browned butter in a bowl with sugars. Beat in sugars for several minutes until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat for another minute or two.

Stir in dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips and oats. Spoon by heaping tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets (a little cooking spray did the trick for me). Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges slightly brown. Let cool for several minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment